The Standard Bronze Turkey
The Standard Bronze was created by colonists crossing domestic turkeys to wild turkeys. While local wild turkeys have a greenish cast to their feathers and brownish edges to their tail feathers, the Standard Bronze has a coppery sheen over the body and a whitish fringe to the tail feathers.
Our birds MATE NATURALLY, unlike commercial turkeys who are all artificially inseminated because the bones in their breast, legs and thighs are too short to permit natural mating.
Able to fly and like to roost well off the ground, they are excellent foragers and like to range.
Standard Bronze Turkey Quick Facts
- Mate Naturally
- Conservation Status: "Watch"
- Use: Meat, Eggs
- Egg Color: White with brown speckles
- Egg Size: Jumbo
- Temperament: Inquisitive and personable. Prefer free-range environment
- Maternal Instincts: Faithful sitters and mothers
- Growth Rate: Slow growing - 6 1/2 - 7 months months to harvest
- Live weight: Tom 25-36 lb, Hen 16-20 lb
- Harvest weight: Toms 18-24 lb, Hens 12-16 lb